Thursday, January 21, 2010

Heart

Recently, in my own life and in people talking about it, I have been thinking about WHY pray for revival? What does that even mean? What does it look like?
I think that Phil hit it pretty well on the post under this one, saying that yes we do pray for revival and that's good and needed, but we often either don't know what we are really asking for or we become afraid when God begins to answer that prayer.
So why do I pray for revival? What am i even asking God for? I actually don't like the term "revival." I don't like the connotation. It's a cultural term that seems to be kind of vague. I don't know. Maybe it's just me. But when I think of "revival" and what I am praying for, what I want is for CHAINS TO BE BROKEN. Kids, we were made for MORE. We weren't made to just do a bunch of actions. Even things like prayer and fasting and reading the Bible can just be heartless obligations if we lose sight of the heart and reason behind it. I also don't pray to "feel" a certain way. I like when He makes me feel good and bubbly and warm, and he likes it too, but there's something so much deeper. I pray because my words move His heart, because He has shown me how He wants to move on this campus, He has broken my heart for the crap that plagues this campus and traps us in depression, false identities, empty pursuits, lies that this is all there is, addictions...the list goes on. I confess, sometimes I lose sight of why I do this. It becomes a bunch of actions, obligations, empty ministry. But He is so kind to bring me back to His heart and say, "I don't want your actions. I want your love. I want your heart."
The truth is, we weren't made to do things, we were made to love Him and to love others. We were made for LOVE. FROM that place of loving the Father we are driven to action. If we love God but don't love others, 1 John is pretty clear in saying that that means that we don't really love Him at all. OUCH. I am guilty. Aghh. So I don't try "harder" to love others, I focus on His heart and let Him give me love. That's what we do in praying for this campus. Because we love these children that make Jesus's eyes burn with fire. Because HOW can we contain this love and keep our eyes blind to what is going on around us?
Intercession cannot come from obligation or because "everyone else is doing it" or because it "sounds nice." It has to come from a willing, broken heart that longs for God's movement because we ourselves are powerless.
I am so encouraged by the people who pursue God's heart and His heart for this campus, but if you aren't in a place where you feel like you are ready or desiring for this intercession thing, that's totally fine. The number one thing we seek is TO BE WITH HIM. Like Psalm 27:4 says, that's the ONE THING that we will seek. We seek Him.
Thank you to the people who are keeping us in check. Ahh I am so thankful that as a community you all care enough to make sure that this isn't something that is for anything other than to seek God.
Holy Spirit, give us dove's eyes, that we don't seek signs or results,but we seek your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment